Greenslopes Private Hospital Diploma of Nursing
Greenslopes Private Hospital and TAFE Qld Gold Coast developed a partnership in 2008 that led to the delivery of an integrated and innovative Diploma of Nursing program.
The course is delivered theoretically and practically on campus at Greenslopes Private Hospital, which enables you to put directly into practice what you have learnt in the classroom.
The course structure of a maximum of three days per week on campus and online learning offers you flexibility. It allows for a balance in your life with study, home and lifestyle commitments.
Greenslopes Private Hospital is a flagship hospital for Ramsay Health Care. It is renowned as a world class tertiary and teaching hospital and offers a comprehensive range of inpatient and day services across a variety of adult specialities.
The course is 18 months in duration and upon successful completion you will receive a nationally recognised qualification allowing you to apply for registration with AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency) as an Enrolled Nurse Division 2 within Australia.
You are required to attend and complete mandatory hospital orientation and e-learning set by the hospital.
You will be required to attend theoretical classes (at Greenslopes Private Hospital) two days per week for approximately the first 17 weeks. After this, classes reduce to 1 day per week. You will also be required to complete online self-directed learning. The course is a full-time study load.
You will also be required to attend two days of vocational placement per week (when rostered) which will be on either early (0700-1530hrs) or late shifts (1430-2300hrs).
Successful completion of the course will provide you with a nationally recognised qualification. Upon completion you may be able to apply for a one year direct credit in the Bachelor of Nursing programs offered by various universities.
When rostered for clinical placement, you will be required to attend two days per week, giving you approximately 440hrs of placement in the program allowing for thorough consolidation of theoretical knowledge.
Clinical placement occurs on both early shifts (0700-1530hrs) and late shifts (1430hrs – 2300hrs). Attending a variety of shifts will allow you to put to practise a wide range of skills required on different shifts.
During clinical placement you will undertake four rotations over the 18 months and will be given the opportunity to experience and learn in areas such as:
- General Surgical
- General Medical
- Mental Health
- Coronary Care
Greenslopes Private Hospital provides facilitators to support, mentor, guide and assess you throughout your placement.
Uniforms are compulsory whilst on campus at Greenslopes Private Hospital. The indicative price is $124.00 which includes two (2) polo shirts and two (2) bottoms i.e. skirts/pants.
Entry requirements stipulated by the Gold Coast Institute of TAFE and Greenslopes Private Hospital are:
- Completed Year 12 or equivalent with sound achievement in English, Mathematics and computer skills or mature age with sound language, literacy, and numeracy skills.
- All applicants must provide a copy of their Year 12 certificate. Applicants who are not able to produce a copy of this document are required to complete the Basic Key Skills Builder (BKSB) test before enrolment.
- Permanent resident of Australia. If you are originally from a non-English speaking background you are required to supply evidence of an IELTS score, achieving a minimum score of 7 in each of the four components of listening, reading, writing and speaking. Evidence to be submitted with your application.
- Prepared to participate in a minimum of 440 hours of vocational placement.
- Access to the internet and have an email account.
- Microsoft Word or Office for Mac on your computer.
All students will need to present original documentation to the value of 100 points. The Institute's Customer Service staff will provide students with the necessary form to complete.
**Please note that this program is not CRICOS registered.**
Entry requirements stipulated by Greenslopes Private Hospital are that you must:
- Possess good verbal and written communication skills
- Possess good interpersonal skills and function effectively in a team
- Demonstrate commitment to ongoing professional development
- Be willing to embrace the values of the Ramsay way
- Provide a cover letter and address the key elements in the application package and inclusive of your reasons for wanting to undertake the Diploma of Nursing
**Students will also be required to apply for a federal police check and also a Blue Care** (further information regarding this will be given upon enrolment)
The Course is run twice per year, with applications for the January intake opening in October and applications for the July intake opening in March.
To complete the application process, you will be required to submit the following to be considered:
- A Cover letter addressing the following criteria:
A current resume outlining any previous employment, training, certificates achieved or work undertaken in a community/sport club.
Applicants must provide two contactable work-related referees (must have worked in a role with a supervisory capacity to you)
- Your reasons for wanting to undertake the Diploma of Nursing
- Having good verbal and written communication skills
- Possessing good interpersonal skills and functioning effectively in a team
- Demonstrating commitment to ongoing professional development
- Be willing to embrace the values of the Ramsay way
Applications will be reviewed and you will be notified (after closing date) of your status and whether you have progressed through to the interview stage. Post interviews, we aim to notify applicants within two (2) weeks of the outcome.
Students who successfully complete the Diploma of Nursing are required to apply for registration with AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency).
Please visit www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au for more information.
Upon graduation, employment is not guaranteed however all students who successfully complete the Diploma of Nursing are encouraged to apply for a position within the Graduate Program offered at Greenslopes Private Hospital. More information regarding the GradPlus within Ramsay Health can be found at www.gradplus.com.au
Diploma of Nursing - Student's Perspective
Diploma of Nursing - Coordinator's Perspective