For Interns 2021 & 2022
Greenslopes Private Hospital provides internships opportunities which are funded by the Private Hospital Stream, Junior Doctor Training Program (JDTP) (formerly Commonwealth Medical Internship program).
The purpose of the JDTP is to provide internships for international full-fee paying graduates from on-shore Australian medical schools ensuring these medical graduates are able to complete requirements for general registration as a medical practitioner in Australia.
GPH will be recruiting 34 interns. We would suggest you actively monitor the Department of Health website for information about the program.
Intern Training Program
The program has been developed over a number of years with a focus of offering interns exposure during their training to:
- The private and public healthcare system
- And metropolitan and regional/rural settings
GPH has developed strong working relationships with several regional/rural sites which provide:
- A welcoming environment and comprehensive orientation
- Broad casemix with great learning opportunities
- Strong supervision and teaching
- Support from GPH whilst rotations offsite.
As a part of the program you will be allocated two external regional/rural rotations. Some of our regular sites are Alice Springs, Thursday Island, Goondiwindi, Gympie and Kingaroy. Accommodation and transport will be coordinated for you when on a regional/rural rotation.
Leave is planned in conjunction with allocation requests and is planned as a 5 week block ensuring continuity of learning opportunities.
GPH will encourage you to become actively involved with learning opportunities onsite or within the network, including presentations, mock exams preparation, committees, audits and research.
GPH weekly education sessions:
- Division of Medicine Meeting -Mondays
- Intern Education – Tuesday or Wednesdays
- Medical Ground Rounds - Thursdays
- JMO Education - Friday
Additional education sessions:
- Unit Meetings / Journal Club
- Clinical Skills
Whilst offsite you will receive site specific education. Some locations will also teleconference into GPH teaching.
- Five weeks annual leave per year (for full-time employees)
- Individual agreements with salary entitlements aligned with Q-Health pay scale
- Access to Salary Sacrificing
- Free onsite parking and free unlimited off street parking
- Child Care facility available onsite
Experiences from Previous Interns
Many of our JMOs are from a range of from across Australia. We asked some of our JMOs about their experiences as Interns with GPH and this is what they have had to say.
"Greenslopes Private Hospital is a well respected hospital that delivers the high standard of care and I do believe that their internship program was a great start to my career. The consultants are very knowledgeable and they are always willing to teach. The hospital runs education sessions almost on a daily basis. GPH is recognised as a leader in teaching and research and it has a clinical unit for Queensland University.
GPH provided me with a unique exposure to rural medicine in remote and regional Australia including Gympie, Mackay, Thursday Island and Alice Springs. These terms can provide you with an excellent heterogeneity of cases and significantly improve your clinical skills.
The staff at the medical services are wonderful and they try their best to help achieve your career goals. I am happy that I stayed in my internship and JHO year at Greenslopes and looking forward to continue my basic physician training at GPH. Greenslopes has a great community and we are looking forward to meeting you soon"
“Greenslopes Private Hospital is a wonderful place to work! I did my internship there and continued as a JHO this year. Greenslopes has provided many opportunities for me and have catered to providing terms needed for my future. They take into consideration your interest and do a wonderful job and giving you opportunities to succeed. They provide great teaching opportunities, and make sure your learning time is protected. The Greenslopes consultants are all very approachable and easy to work with. Greenslopes provides a top notch learning environment and truly believe I am a better doctor for being a part of their junior doctor program. I have loved the mix of city and rural jobs, and this diversity has really helped me with honing my skills and finding my way for ultimately what kind of doctor I want to be. A wonderful experience! I highly recommend GPH to upcoming graduates!”
“I have been fortunate and honored to work Greenslopes Private Hospital this past year as a Junior Medical Officer, continuing in the Hospital’s 75 year history of principled service training Junior Doctors and treating disease.
The emphasis on Junior Doctor education is extraordinary: There are four protected afternoon teaching sessions each week covering a range of topics, including strategies to perform safe and competent ward call shifts, interdisciplinary case discussions about diagnosis and management of complicated cases, and frequent presentations by specialists to provide world-class teaching for our Junior Doctor cohort. Of note is the enthusiastic participation by specialist consultants in all of these sessions, which provides unique insight into how specialists frame issues and manage complex medicine. The training program here offers a great balance between autonomy and supervision.
Junior Doctors are given opportunities to take on responsibilities and begin managing patients with the support from registrars and consultants to help guide us and maintain a culture of safety and scholarship.
The community of doctors, nurses, and allied health professionals at Greenslopes is supportive, friendly, and helpful. I have enjoyed getting to know many of these people as trusted colleagues, and these relationships have been strengthened by our shared duty to provide excellent care to our patients. The administration is very supportive and approachable, and makes the well-being of its Junior Doctors a priority.
The hospital campus is located on a gorgeously forested hill that I bike into every morning, which has been an important aspect of my own self-care throughout the year. Overall, Internship is challenging, humbling, and rewarding, and I am very thankful that Greenslopes provided such a fantastic environment for me to transition from medical school and begin my career.”
“I had a very meaningful time working at Greenslopes Private Hospital during my internship and JHO years.
Despite being a large hospital, the staff are approachable and easy to work with, and the junior doctors form tightly knit friendships that persist outside of working hours.
Medical education strives to facilitate plenty of teaching opportunities through the week, and involves residents and registrars in peer teaching via presentations or Grand Rounds.
Personally, I found that the opportunities to be seconded to regional or rural facilities were some of the most memorable experiences I've had; it broadened my clinical exposure and taught me to practise medicine in various different settings.
Overall, I found working at Greenslopes as a junior doctor to be an enriching and positive experience.”
“Greenslopes Private Hospital has been a welcoming and fantastic place for internship. This first year as a junior doctor with Ramsay was pleasant thanks to great infrastructures, enthusiastic people and excellent teaching.
Medical as administrative staff have been very supportive throughout this challenging year. I believe it was reassuring to have approachable and friendly people all along the year, ready to have your back.
GPH offers as well a unique opportunity by sending you to rural hospitals for short period of time, which I believe broadens your horizons. I was glad to be sent to Alice Spring and Kingaroy hospitals. This lifetime experience was professionally as personally rewarding.
I will continue my learning process with GPH another year as I'm not ready yet to give up on all the advantages of being part of the Ramsay family.”
"My internship and JHO years with Greenslopes Private Hospital provided an unparalleled experience in regional medicine. From major trauma cases in the red centre of Alice Springs Hospital to tropical medicine in the Torres Straits islands via the Thursday Island Hospital, I had extensive learning opportunities. Working closely with senior medical officers allowed me to fast track my experience and gain confidence. As a young doctor, the exposure to hands-on mentoring has been critical in my professional development.
Secondments to regional hospitals also showed me new and exciting parts of Australia. Becoming immersed in the local culture ultimately led me to understand my patients better, whilst providing a rewarding work-life balance. Local staff were friendly and ready to provide recommendations on local eateries and places of interest – Rainbow Beach/Fraser Island are only an hour from Gympie Hospital, and the Bunya Mountain region is an easy 50mins from Kingaroy Hospital.
Managing patients from various backgrounds and engaging with their community really put things into perspective for me that medicine is more than the pathology alone. I believe that my regional experience with Greenslopes Hospital has made me a more well-rounded doctor. It has been incredibly rewarding and provides a great platform to launch into a career as a junior doctor."
- Application – submit a formal EOI through the Commonwealth website during specified period.
- Release of EOI Information – During the EOI period the Commonwealth will forward applications to participating hospitals for review.
- Hospital Contacting Applicants – As soon as EOI information is available to Greenslopes Private Hospital (GPH) we will review applications. We will initially review applications for those who have preferenced Brisbane region, than Southeast QLD or QLD. We will forward a link to allow you to submit your CV and relevant information through our PageUp portal.
- Offer of Internship Positions – Offers will commence during a period specified by the Commonwealth.
- Acceptance of Offer – You will need to accept the offer as per instructions within 24 hours.
- Employment Contract – A contract will be forwarded which will be conditional to the usual employment arrangement ie satisfactory police checks, AHPRA registration, working visa, eligibility for Commonwealth funding.
- On-boarding - on acceptance of your contract a link will be forwarded requesting your preferences around term allocations and leave. An email will also confirm next vital steps around AHPRA and Visa.
Greenslopes Private Hospital (GPH) is a 601 bed, Level 3 tertiary teaching private hospital, offering a comprehensive range of services for private patients. This includes:
- Non trauma Emergency Centre, ICU (Level 6), CCU with 3 Cath Labs,
- 19 theatres with robotic surgery
- Full array of investigative services including PET Scan
- Over 1,000 accredited Visiting Medical Officers
The teaching structure includes:
- Director of Clinical Training, Director of Physician Training
- Structured formal teaching program across the week, close supervision
- Sim Lab, Conference Facilities, Library & onsite University of Queensland Clinical School
- Over 100 JMOs including Interns, Residents, Registrars and Advanced Trainees
- VMOs committed to education and training
Clinical Service Profile
- Breast & Endocrine Surgery
- Cancer Services
- Cardiac Surgery
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Ear Nose & Throat
- Emergency Medicine
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- Geriatric Medicine
- Gynaecological Oncology
- Infectious Diseases
- Intensive Care
- Liver Clinic
- Medical Oncology
- Mental Health
- Obstetrics / Maternity
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Pain Medicine
- Plastic Surgery
- Radiology (including PET Scan)
- Radiation Oncology
- Renal Dialysis
- Respiratory & Sleep Medicine
- Robotic Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
- Vascular Medicine
If additional information about the GPH program is required contact: