For Interns 2021 & 2022
Greenslopes Private Hospital provides internships opportunities which are funded by the Private Hospital Stream, Junior Doctor Training Program (JDTP) (formerly Commonwealth Medical Internship program).
The purpose of the JDTP is to provide internships for international full-fee paying graduates from on-shore Australian medical schools ensuring these medical graduates are able to complete requirements for general registration as a medical practitioner in Australia.
GPH will be recruiting 34 interns. We would suggest you actively monitor the Department of Health website for information about the program.
Intern Training Program
The program has been developed over a number of years with a focus of offering interns exposure during their training to:
- The private and public healthcare system
- And metropolitan and regional/rural settings
GPH has developed strong working relationships with several regional/rural sites which provide:
- A welcoming environment and comprehensive orientation
- Broad casemix with great learning opportunities
- Strong supervision and teaching
- Support from GPH whilst rotations offsite.
As a part of the program you will be allocated two external regional/rural rotations. Some of our regular sites are Alice Springs, Thursday Island, Goondiwindi, Gympie and Kingaroy. Accommodation and transport will be coordinated for you when on a regional/rural rotation.
Leave is planned in conjunction with allocation requests and is planned as a 5 week block ensuring continuity of learning opportunities.
GPH will encourage you to become actively involved with learning opportunities onsite or within the network, including presentations, mock exams preparation, committees, audits and research.
GPH weekly education sessions:
- Division of Medicine Meeting -Mondays
- Intern Education – Tuesday or Wednesdays
- Medical Ground Rounds - Thursdays
- JMO Education - Friday
Additional education sessions:
- Unit Meetings / Journal Club
- Clinical Skills
Whilst offsite you will receive site specific education. Some locations will also teleconference into GPH teaching.
- Five weeks annual leave per year (for full-time employees)
- Individual agreements with salary entitlements aligned with Q-Health pay scale
- Access to Salary Sacrificing
- Free onsite parking and free unlimited off street parking
- Child Care facility available onsite
Experiences from Previous Interns
Many of our JMOs are from a range of from across Australia. We asked some of our JMOs about their experiences as Interns with GPH and this is what they have had to say.
"Greenslopes Private Hospital is a well respected hospital that delivers the high standard of care and I do believe that their internship program was a great start to my career. The consultants are very knowledgeable and they are always willing to teach. The hospital runs education sessions almost on a daily basis. GPH is recognised as a leader in teaching and research and it has a clinical unit for Queensland University.
GPH provided me with a unique exposure to rural medicine in remote and regional Australia including Gympie, Mackay, Thursday Island and Alice Springs. These terms can provide you with an excellent heterogeneity of cases and significantly improve your clinical skills.
The staff at the medical services are wonderful and they try their best to help achieve your career goals. I am happy that I stayed in my internship and JHO year at Greenslopes and looking forward to continue my basic physician training at GPH. Greenslopes has a great community and we are looking forward to meeting you soon"
“Greenslopes Private Hospital is a wonderful place to work! I did my internship there and continued as a JHO this year. Greenslopes has provided many opportunities for me and have catered to providing terms needed for my future. They take into consideration your interest and do a wonderful job and giving you opportunities to succeed. They provide great teaching opportunities, and make sure your learning time is protected. The Greenslopes consultants are all very approachable and easy to work with. Greenslopes provides a top notch learning environment and truly believe I am a better doctor for being a part of their junior doctor program. I have loved the mix of city and rural jobs, and this diversity has really helped me with honing my skills and finding my way for ultimately what kind of doctor I want to be. A wonderful experience! I highly recommend GPH to upcoming graduates!”
"My internship and JHO years with Greenslopes Private Hospital provided an unparalleled experience in regional medicine. From major trauma cases in the red centre of Alice Springs Hospital to tropical medicine in the Torres Straits islands via the Thursday Island Hospital, I had extensive learning opportunities. Working closely with senior medical officers allowed me to fast track my experience and gain confidence. As a young doctor, the exposure to hands-on mentoring has been critical in my professional development.
Secondments to regional hospitals also showed me new and exciting parts of Australia. Becoming immersed in the local culture ultimately led me to understand my patients better, whilst providing a rewarding work-life balance. Local staff were friendly and ready to provide recommendations on local eateries and places of interest – Rainbow Beach/Fraser Island are only an hour from Gympie Hospital, and the Bunya Mountain region is an easy 50mins from Kingaroy Hospital.
Managing patients from various backgrounds and engaging with their community really put things into perspective for me that medicine is more than the pathology alone. I believe that my regional experience with Greenslopes Hospital has made me a more well-rounded doctor. It has been incredibly rewarding and provides a great platform to launch into a career as a junior doctor."
“My internship year and JHO year at Greenslopes Private Hospital has provided me with a wide breadth of experiences that have helped shaped my medical career.
From exposure to many specialists at GPH to the ability to work at regional hospitals, I believe that it has provided me training that has been the best of both worlds.
I felt very well supported by the consultants and registrars at GPH, while also learning from them. The admin team is also very supportive and has made my time at GPH amazing. I feel that training here has been a wonderful start to my career!”
“I’ve had the pleasure to start out in Greenslopes Private Hospital at 2020 and 2021, and to say Greenslopes provides opportunities you might never think you can find over here.
I’m blown away by the various offerings GPH provided me such as the access to interact with Consultants who are genuinely interested in research, education and also at the forefront of their field. The education sessions and grand rounds that GPH hosts also gives us much needed refreshers and updates on medicine and I walk away from them feeling enriched!
In addition, GPH offers a wide variety of rural placement options and we get to experience different population subtypes and cultures. My time in Alice Springs also enable me to gain, use and practice procedural skills and clinical knowledge that other doctors in Metropolitan hospital might never get to see!
It has been a challenging time due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but I am awed by the support system from the staff, whom are extremely understanding and supportive, and even from our colleagues and that make this trying time easier to get through. Personally, GPH would be one of great, if not the best, starting point for any intern to get their feet wet in the wonderful world of Medicine.”
- Application – submit a formal EOI through the Commonwealth website during specified period.
- Release of EOI Information – During the EOI period the Commonwealth will forward applications to participating hospitals for review.
- Hospital Contacting Applicants – As soon as EOI information is available to Greenslopes Private Hospital (GPH) we will review applications. We will initially review applications for those who have preferenced Brisbane region, than Southeast QLD or QLD. We will forward a link to allow you to submit your CV and relevant information through our PageUp portal.
- Offer of Internship Positions – Offers will commence during a period specified by the Commonwealth.
- Acceptance of Offer – You will need to accept the offer as per instructions within 24 hours.
- Employment Contract – A contract will be forwarded which will be conditional to the usual employment arrangement ie satisfactory police checks, AHPRA registration, working visa, eligibility for Commonwealth funding.
- On-boarding - on acceptance of your contract a link will be forwarded requesting your preferences around term allocations and leave. An email will also confirm next vital steps around AHPRA and Visa.
Greenslopes Private Hospital (GPH) is a 601 bed, Level 3 tertiary teaching private hospital, offering a comprehensive range of services for private patients. This includes:
- Non trauma Emergency Centre, ICU (Level 6), CCU with 3 Cath Labs,
- 19 theatres with robotic surgery
- Full array of investigative services including PET Scan
- Over 1,000 accredited Visiting Medical Officers
The teaching structure includes:
- Director of Clinical Training, Director of Physician Training
- Structured formal teaching program across the week, close supervision
- Sim Lab, Conference Facilities, Library & onsite University of Queensland Clinical School
- Over 100 JMOs including Interns, Residents, Registrars and Advanced Trainees
- VMOs committed to education and training
Clinical Service Profile
- Breast & Endocrine Surgery
- Cancer Services
- Cardiac Surgery
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Ear Nose & Throat
- Emergency Medicine
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- Geriatric Medicine
- Gynaecological Oncology
- Infectious Diseases
- Intensive Care
- Liver Clinic
- Medical Oncology
- Mental Health
- Obstetrics / Maternity
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Pain Medicine
- Plastic Surgery
- Radiology (including PET Scan)
- Radiation Oncology
- Renal Dialysis
- Respiratory & Sleep Medicine
- Robotic Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
- Vascular Medicine
If additional information about the GPH program is required contact: